Last spring my eczema flare ups were coming and going even though I was trying my best to eat as healthy as possible on a student budget. I was just starting my nutritional pathology course and was learning more about over-active immune systems, gut health and their connection to inflammation and disease (that course actually changed my life). One recommendation they made was to supplement probiotics and to incorporate live fermented gut-supporting foods to help build the immune system back up so that what I started with and man, it made a difference.
More than 80% of our immune system is located in the gut so what’s going on in the gut will have a big impact on how our immune system is functioning. Eczema is almost always connected to an over-active immune system, a common skin condition I was diagnosed with when I was 2 years old. I was also prescribed steroid creams at that time (another immune suppressor) and used them until I was 27. No wonder my immune system was shot!
With research, It’s become more common knowledge that not all bacteria is bad. We actually need good bacteria and it is responsible for so many things! Our bodies are home to our own personal micro biomes that need good bacteria to thrive. A micro biome is a complex ecosystem in and on the surface of our bodies. There are billions of microorganisms in this ecosystem that are beneficial to our digestion, immunity, and other functions of the body. They also help to protect us from infection, and help the body to transport minerals, vitamins, water and other nutrients through the gut wall. An imbalance in good/bad bacteria may lead to a weakened immune system which can then lead to (in my case) inflammation.
I learned that the key to improving my eczema was improving and focusing on my gut health. Luckily I was already a healthy eater and had removed most of the foods that could be damaging to the gut. But healing the gut doesn’t happen overnight! I focused and continue to focus on good fats and well sourced proteins, lots of cooked veggies and easily digested raw veggies and greens, anti-inflammatory spices, herbs, and teas. I also incorporate lots of probiotic foods like cultured coconut milk yogurt, sauerkraut, apple cider vinegar, and kimchi at least once a day while taking a probiotic supplement.
So what are Probiotics? Probiotics are healthy bacteria. There are a bunch of things that can throw good bacteria off balance. Thing like antibiotics or steroid cream use, a diet high in refined sugar or carbohydrates, or even chronic stress! Probiotics help to populate your gut with beneficial bacteria to bring it back to a natural balance while also warding off unwanted micro-organisms like fungus and yeast. Probiotics also help to purify the blood and help you to digest food which makes you more regular - bonus!
I've been using Genuine Health’s NEW advanced gut health probiotic women’s DAILY for 2 weeks now and my body is loving it! I like that it is tailored specifically to support women’s health because there is a strong connection between the microbiome and our natal anatomy – called the “microgenderome.” The microgenderome is something that was completely new to me up until 2 weeks ago but it is pretty fasinating! For more information about the microgenderome visit: http://www.genuinehealth.com/mars-venus-microbiome/#.Wn3HOK6nHIU
What makes Genuine Health’s Advanced Gut Health Women’s DAILY probiotics so different?
- Only probiotics crafted with 15 balanced strains chosen to mimic healthy human gut flora. These strains are also specially chosen to support women’s gut, skin, and vaginal health.
- Guaranteed is 50* billion live bacteria right up to the expiry date.
- A triple-cleaning process ensures that the strains are clean and toxin-free.
- They are encapsulated in a unique, plastic-free, delayed-release capsule that can withstand stomach acid and deliver up to 10x the bacteria to the gut for optimal absorption.
- They are shelf-stable which makes them great for travelling. No refrigeration required!
- Vegan, non-GMO, gluten free and soy free.
- There is also the Advanced Gut Health Probiotic Women’s UTI that carries all of the same benefits as the Advanced Gut Health Probiotic Women’s DAILY but with added CRAN naturelleTM - organic whole fruit cranberry powder containing natural seed, oils, and juice, as cranberry has been proven to be preventative as well as accelerate recovery for those who experience recurrent urinary tract infections. I, myself, do not have recurrent UTI’s but would recommend this product to anyone who does.
Check out Genuine Health's website for more detailed information about the advanced gut health probiotic women’s DAILY and UTI by clicking HERE
The Advanced Gut Health Probiotic Women’s DAILY & UTI can also be found at your local health food and select grocery stores! You can visit Genuine Health to find a store in your city or town!