Okay, after popular demand my dad's Christmas Crack recipe is here just in time for the weekend! I have to hand it to my dad, he really mastered this recipe and we always look forward to when he makes it. It's full of different textures, salty, easy to make and SO SO addictive. You've been warned.
The original recipe is not gluten-free but I took it upon myself to make a GF version so I could enjoy it too throughout the holidays (and for you guys who requested me to). For the past couple years I have been annoying my family by picking out all the GF cereals and leaving all of the shreddies and other wheat cereals behind. To make my version, all I had to do was find some replacement cereals and snacks made with rice/corn which I found very easily at Save On Foods. It's basically the same thing - my version is a half recipe too incase you don't want to make a massive batch.
The first will be my dad's OG recipe and the gluten free version will follow below in a printable form.
Here we go!
Dad's ORIGINAL "Christmas Crack" Snack Mix
- 1 box Cheerios
- 1 box Crispix
- 1 box Shreddies
- 1 bag pretzels
- 1 bag Bugles
- 1 box Cheeze Bits (or Goldfish crackers)
- 1 lb salted butter
- 4 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 heaping teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 heaping teaspoons celery salt
- 2 heaping teaspoons onion salt
- Preheat oven to 200 Degrees F.
- Add all of the cereals and crackers into a large roasting pan and gently mix together.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat stirring often. You do not want the butter to brown! once melted, Add the worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, celery salt, and onion salt and stir until well combined.
- A little bit at a time, slowly drizzle the butter mixture on top of the cereal, mixing the cereal around often to make sure it all gets evenly coated.
- Bake for 2 hours - every 30 minutes, remove the roasting pan from the oven and gently mix. The purpose it to dry it out but to leave all of the buttery flavour behind! make sure to set a timer. Once the 2 hours is up - set aside the mix to cool until eating (if you can wait that long before digging in)!
Dad's "Christmas Crack" Snack Mix
GLUTEN FREE VERSION