I have to admit, Bone Broth is something I never really made because even the thought of waiting 24-48 hours for it to do it's thing on stove top or in a slow cooker just made me feel too anxious. I attempted make it a couple times and it was fine. I just found myself looking into the pot every hour like "Hello? Are you done yet?". I'm not a very patient person! I have been making it more regularly since moving to Ottawa, but I make it in the pressure cooker (Instant Pot)! what usually takes 24-48 Hours now takes 2 hours!
If you follow me on Instagram, you know I'm on a tight budget being a student and all. I DO NOT waste anything! So, when I have a roasted chicken, I clean it up as best I can (My grandma is the queen of 'cleaning up' a roasted chicken. You think there's nothing left to it but she will prove you wrong. She WILL find enough meat on that thing to make sandwiches for 4 people. I'm not joking!). I then throw the bones in the Instant pot with whatever veggies I have on hand. Or I stick them in the freezer until I feel like making some broth.
Before I get to my ultra simple recipe, I just wanted to share a couple reasons why Bone Broth is so good for you.
Bone Broth is great for many many reasons. I'm sure I could make a list from 1-100 but I'm just going to list what I think would be the basic top 5. Remember, I'm only a nutrition student I'm not a doctor or expert by any means!
Reasons To Drink Bone Broth
- Bone Broth strengthens the immune system! It is very high in minerals and has many healing properties. (ahem, grandmas chicken noodle soup when you were sick as a kid?! the best)
- Bone Broth is great for skin, hair, and nails! It is rich in collagen (my fave).
- Bone Broth is gut healing! Gelatine in the broth helps to seal holes in the intestines.
- Bone Broth keeps your bones and joints happy! It contains phosphorus, magnesium, and calcium which are essential for bone health, and glucosamine which is essential for joint health.
- Bone Broth helps to get toxins OUT of the body! It contains glycine, an amino acid that helps the liver detoxify.
Simple Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth